9/15/2021

An Art Quilt

Welcome to my little blog. :-)

Sometimes I blog about special quilts here. Most of the time however, you can find me on www.instagram.com/whitetimbercottage


My Vignettesquilt, my first art quilt, is finished: 

Its quilted and bound. 

and I love how the quilting lines represent the lines in my palm. 

Here are the prompts and their names: 





_________________________________________________________________________

The process in 2021

A quilty friend told me Heidi Parkes (www.heidiparkes.com) was hosting a sew along and so it came about that I bought the pattern. Man what a pamphlet! In the best way though. She wrote the majority of the pages by hand which makes it totally charming. After printing and putting it in a little folder I read it thru and learned about 

the 7 elements of art, 

the 10 post-modern principles of art, 

the 8 principles of art. 

To be honest I still struggle with the terms / prompts at times because these can be combined in the vignettes and the literal sense gets combined and mixed up in my head too ;-)

I felt the urge to start right away! I collected the fabrics from various places in my house like my stash of purchased fabrics, the "to be mended maybe-pile" and then I also took some precious fabrics which were gifted to me or which I had collected over time. I have a big old Founder´s time cabinet filled with such fabrics. :-) 

Making the vignettes was so fun! Sew fun! The hashtag to follow on Instagram is #vignettesquilt by the way. Follow and you will see what vignettes people make in the upcoming SAL which starts soon. 

What is a vignette you ask? It has nothing to do with traveling to Switzerland! :-) 

Vignettes are like quilt blocks you make up yourself according to the theme and you decide its size. In this particular project here we are asked to just make them and then see how the project evolves. 

These are the rules tho: 

The first 7 vignettes are being made referring to the 7 elements of art, which are

Line, shape, form, value, space, texture and color. 

So I made these :-) 

Then 10 vignettes with post-modern principles theme are made. These principles are

Appropriation, juxtaposition, recontextualisation, layering, text, gazing, representation, obsessiveness and economy.

So I made those. 

The principles are not (only) about the vignettes but about HOW you combine them and bring them all together. These principles are as follows: 

Balance, symmetry, contrast, emphasis, pattern, movement, rhythm and unity. 

I am posting a picture to document the intermediate results. To see the quilt evolving go to www.instagram.com/whitetimbercottage 

Stay tuned :-) 

Love

Caroline

15.09.2021


1 Kommentar:

  1. I love what you have happening here! Combining purchased fabrics with those precious collected fabrics creates a lovely mix. And, I'm guessing you had a colour palette in mind? I'm so tempted to join in too, the elements seem do-able, but I've had no experience with the post -modern principals of art. And, I also wondered, did you have an overall concept or feel or look you started out with?
    Love to hear your thoughts on all this.

    AntwortenLöschen