12/01/2020

A star is born! 

And what a nice big and shiny star it is. I am loving this quilt! And it´s owner does so too. 

Last year I came up with the idea to gift one of my sisters in law a quilt and it had to be an easy and quick pattern. A week before I had seen the "Big wonky star" tutorial on Missouri Star quilt companies youtube channel. Missouri Star Quilt Company 
They always come up with fun ideas and easy to follow instructions. Now although I make up a lot of my quilt patterns up myself I always like to use a fun one from the big companies. So I was set pattern wise. 

Whenever I make a custom quilt I try to get to know the receivers favorite colour. In this case I asked Katrins daugher Eva. We exchanged a few secred WhatsApp messages and purple had to be the one! *Gnehehehee* 

Once I have the colour I am going to work with I sit with it. Sit with the idea. 

After some time I know which designer or fabric line I want to go with or I google, in this case, purple and lilac fabric in order to find out which online shop to buy from or maybe I realise that I can make the project from my stash. In this particular case I decided to go for Kaffe Fassetts paperweight fabric in purple. Kaffes paperweights are some of my favorites! I love the feel of the fabric, its rather light quality and that it gives me so many options to combine other fabrics with it. So I ordered some online at Maritas online shop www.quiltmaus.de She is my go-to-shop for Kaffe Fassett fabrics!
The fabric for the big star had to be a high contrast and fun one. So I chose Tula Pinks fairy dust. I had loads of this one fortunately because it makes the best fun and playful yet modern background!
The quilt top was easy peasy cut and put together in two afternoons. 

The backing had to be a flannel because it was ment to be really warm and cosy. Katrins daughter and I are both interested in all thinks GB! We watch royal weddings, trooping the color and may even have a little bubble water to say a toast to the queen once in a while. And I love that. Eva spent a year in London as au-pair and the whole family felt special about it and everybody followed closely what news where send from UKs capital during this whole year. Sooo, long story short, (Eva, I love or little chats about the queen and her family and all things English! Um, just wanted to make really sure you know this! :-)) 

I chose a tartan flannel with purple in it. 

Back then I had no longarm so I chose straight line quilting on my Janome horizon. I always use the walking foot for this kind of quilting because the first three quilts I quilted on my old Pfaff machine about 10 years had wobbles. Due to the pressure the normal piecing foot puts on the three layers of fabric these shift. And even if the shifting is minimal, one can recognise it on a bigger quilt. 
So the solution is the walking foot which distributes the pressure equally on all layers. If I use the big walking foot I have the perfect guide for double line quilting. Which I did on this quilt. 
When we went to Katrins house before Christmas I gave it to her. It lives on her sofa ever since and I am loving this!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen