12/02/2020

Hexie quotes

The project that never finishes 
... turned into something nice (until it becomes an actual quilt one day, right?)!

Many quilters want to make at least one hexie quilt in their life. And so do I. So I started the project in 2018 by printing out a template I found on the interwebs many times on sturdy paper and cutting out all the hexagon shapes. My kids helped cutting some of the shapes which was cute thing to see them do. 

Then I dug deep into my stash and scrap boxes for my favorite colors,  cut out these fabrics eyeballing the quarter inch seam allowance. I like pinning. And I like my needles. So I put one needle to hold paper and fabric together. Then folded the fabric around the papers and fixed them with a hemming stitch. Six petals for each flower and one contrasting fabric for the centre. Then whip stitching them into flowers. Making sure I make knots at the end of the sew line. (And still the seams opened on some, ugh)

I enjoyed stitching them! Sitting and stitching in a nice frequent motion is one of my favorite things to do and it makes me happy! 

This is what the beautiful flowers look like all together laid out on the floor in my living room. So fun! Later I flipped them around and numbered them by rows. 

Now that I had seen the end result, I could not wait to put the rows together. And this was trickier than I thought it would be. When putting the hexies together it is easy to sew then together in a wrong angle. And this happened to me several times. And after working on this quilt for a few weeks in a row I had to stop and put it aside. Now I have about three rows together which I keep on a trousers hanger in my big linen cupboard from the old days and then there is this beautiful pile of hexagon flowers on the shelf.  

So a few weeks later, inspired by Bonnie K. Hunter (which I adore for her piecing skills and the positivity she brings into the world, to only name a few) I photographed the hexie flowers in my (back then new) light frame and put quotes on them to brighten up peoples lives who follow me on Instagram. 

And so the Hashtag Hexiequotes was invented. 

Do you also have a pile of hexagons sitting somewhere on your shelfs or in a UFO-box? Yes, I hear you! I will let you know when I get back to my flower quilt. Until then, there may be some #hexiequotes coming your way. 


Love

Caroline




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen