6/15/2013

I have a dream! - A Janome Horizon -


I would love to have a new sewing machine with a bigger throut, more stich programs, needle up and down position selection and so forth.

For a long time I used my mothers sewing machine. At that time I only made small things like shortening trousers, repairing cloths a.s.o.

Then I took this quilting class and really got into patchworking.

When my mum wanted to have her machine back, it was a cheap one from Aldi by the way, 
I bought a Pfaff Hobby 1132 for 400 Euros at Amazon as I thought, patchworkers sew straight lines. Yes, I was so wrong at that time.

While I made good progress with new projects and really had the patchwork virus I had to realise that I bought the wrong machine. I should have contacted a shop which offers service and consultation  before buying a machine.

I did so some weeks ago. I had heard about the Florin family from several sewing people and phoned them to ask for a free motion foot for my Pfaff Hobby machine. He, Mr. Florin, was so gentle and he knows his business well. He recommended to use a Janome free stitching foot on my machine, as there was none available for my model. And so we made contact and a deal.

Then, when I finished my sampler quilt recently and when I looked at it from a distance I realised that it was better to do the quilting, even if it was stitching in the ditch, with a walking foot.
Problem: One cannot put a walking foot on my Pfaff. Duh!

As I had made contact with the Florin family now I asked for an appointment in there shop and when Mrs. Florin asked me on the phone for me requirements she had an idea right away which machine would suit me. She told me to bring some pieces and some fabrics or quilt sandwiches to the shop so I could try some techniques.

Me and Birgit (Stoff Natur Werkstatt at Dawanda.de) went there.

They have a love shop. Mrs. Florin was so kind to let me sew for two hours on the Janome Memory Craft 8200. We tried free motion quilting, stitched letters, numbers and decorative flowery quilting stitches. We put on different feet, sew a zipper, made buttonholes etc etc. And we had a good time chatting, drinking good coffee and eating chocolate. It was so nice.



She also let me try out a Singer and another Pfaff, but I was already in love with the Janome.
The only problem is that I need to wait for some time to get the money together.
But, Janome you will be mine soon!

I like the Memory Craft 8200 better than the 6600 or 7700 because it has a free arm, as I need to sew patches on my kids Jeans, which is not possible with these.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hi Caroline. The fabric shops I know in London are: the village haberdashery-owned by Annie: she has a website 'the village haberdashery'. Her shop is in Hampstead. There is also Tikki fabric, a shop in Kew gardens, Tiina also has a website. You can get to both on the tube or buses.
    There is a shop called Shaukat, not far from the V and A museum / natural history museum. They sell Liberty fabrics, but also do offcuts at good prices, again you can catch a bus to get there. They also have a website.
    Hope this helps you: when are you in London?
    Catherine

    AntwortenLöschen