4/16/2013

The vintage log cabin quilt.

I love the movie "Nanny McPhee" and especially the kids´ room. The whole set up of the film is so lovely, inspiring, vintage, shabby and further more. *
I saw this quilt in the kids´ room and fell in love with it - and wanted to have one, make one. When I searched the internet for its history it was even more interesting for me, as it is called log cabin and I live in kind of a log cabin house. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_cabin

Luckily a little cute shop opened in the city I work in and I bought the fabrics there. Sadly the ladies who lad the store broke up within 3 months. But I know where to find the fabrics :-)  

When I first started the project I hadnt seen the Elenore Burns (Quilt in a day) technique or the tutorial from Rose Smith (http://youtu.be/2dKefMRiCQw) on easy log cabin sewing, so I cut every piece right before I sew it. Which took me a bit longer, but, hey it´s a learning process. The next blogs will be made with the advanced technique ;-)



I have made 30 blocks by now and the inner part of the other 60. I need 90 blocks for our queensize-bed.
I cut 2,5 centimetre strips (which is about 1.15 inches) because I wanted a more subtle look - and I have stick to this now...  -.-



Well, it looks quick´n easy, doesn´t it? I only have to fill in the little gaps inbetween <- this is how my daughter explained it to me when we layed it out in the sleeping room once.

I will do so, but first I have some more projects to show you / to finalise! 




* I once had a boss in the office...OH...., I am a bi-linguist secretary and I work in my job since 16 years now - as per today I work in the same big worldwide important company for 15 years already... Well, again, I once had a boss who was French and used the word "furthermore ( aka Försörmör)" really often when he would dictate that I cannot use this word ever again without thinking of him (Hi Cambi!! - if you should ever read this :-D)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen